Thursday, December 03, 2009

NaBloPoMo & Vegetable Soup

Damn. Second day into NaBloPoMo and I blew it. I was just sitting down to post when I realized it was already after midnight.

Damn!

Ah, well, I'm going to keep going anyway, and see how I do, then try again next month.

Today I wanted to post about this lovely, lovely vegetable soup recipe. It's from a book called The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.** This book is not just for entertaining and every recipe is not overly involved or requiring a zillion ingredients. Some recipes are very simple, like the soup I've made twice in the last week.

It's a basic recipe that includes sauteing onions, celery, and carrots in a little olive oil, then adding some tomatoes (canned or fresh), then broth or water, then zucchini and broccoli. In other words, it's very similar to the soup I might have thrown together with whatever veggies were in my fridge at the moment. Somehow, though, when I followed this recipe, it came out even better than it usually does. I think it might be the addition of fresh herbs or maybe the particular blend of herbs.

When I made it, I added fresh garlic while sauteing the veggies. The second time I made it, I added just a tiny bit of diced red pepper when I was adding the tomatoes. I didn't add broccoli either time. I love broccoli, but not in soup. The author included some suggestions for additions to make it more of a full meal.

It's yummy, yummy soup.


**The link above goes to this book at Amazon. I don't have an account set up with them at this time, but I provided the link for convenience.

----------------
Now playing: 30 Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

  1. Hi Saerin- I signed up to do the posting challenge this month too. There are a lot less food blogs than I had expected. Good luck-- I look forward to seeing what you post about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jen. Do you have a link to your blog? I'm not sure how to find it on here. This is kind of a mixed blog right now--sometimes talking about food and cooking and sometimes about other things. I guess I'll see what it develops into.

    ReplyDelete